Dealing with a conflict depends on what the issue is and in what environment it takes place and with whom. The scenario to find solution for is as follows: You are a department manager in a mid-sized company that provides technology support services. You have ten employees who are required to maintain a high level of technical expertise and deliver excellent customer service. One of your employees, who have been with the company for two years, is performing at a substandard level and you have received numerous complaints from customers and coworkers. In addition, this employee has displayed confrontational behavior, which has created a hostile environment. You must now meet with this employee and deliver an ultimatum regarding the need for immediate improvement or dismissal.”
As department manager there are several ways in which I would handle this situation. Depending on what type of boss I choose to be will determine how I would handle this situation. This employee has only been with the company for two years so there status may not be to equal status as others who have been with the company longer. Not only does this employee show interpersonal issues, but also they may lack the skills needed to work together as a team player. Since I do not know what the complaints are about it is hard to determine the correct action. In my experiences at work and being a supervisor myself I have learned many things. In many cases complaints come and go with any company but if customers are complaining than that falls on the business image. There are three things that need to be addressed to this person and the first is there personal issues, second there interpersonal image and lastly work ethic to the company.
It seems that this person many not fit the position they are currently in and it may also be that they are just having a hard time in there personal life and it is showing in there job. To not ask this person personal questions but to be a leader and address problem solving topics is what I would do. I would want to keep a trust built between that person and I would want to give them a chance to explain why they are acting the way they are. Problem solving for me would be to sit down, directly express the issues that are being directed toward this employee and than find out how to find the best job and position where this person can excel. Or maybe they have another way of doing a job that may not fit with others ways of learning. I would keep an open mind to this issue, but work toward positive reinforcement to get them to change their behavior. By giving positive feedback to them will allow this employee to find a kind of control to adjust his or her behavior. Depending on how this employee communicates with me will determine if he or she is defensive or is receptive to my suggestions.
The importance of calling this employee to my office would be to re-establish trust as manager and employee, find the good assets this person has, state the issues at hand that there have been problems, and inform them that they need to find a way to get back on track for job performance. As stated from author Pamela S, in her book, Organizational Communication speaks about valuing diversity. As a manager I would want to understand and appreciate the contributions that differences in people can make to organizations. “Personal communication competency, we increase our effectiveness by understanding barriers to valuing diversity and positive approaches helpful in increasing understanding”(Zalabak, 2009, pg 166) By understanding that there may be workplace democracy, group norms and task that each member must do to perform a job function it is important to also focus on the individual and what there assets are in personal performance.
If I do not get feedback for good reason on why he or she is not doing there job well and that this causes further issues, I would want to put them into another area of work where they can excel. I also would give them a chance since each person should be valued and should be given an opportunity to grow if they fail. Also as defined from Author Pamela Zalabak, that conflict, “can be described as a process that occurs when individuals, small groups, or organizations perceive or experience frustrations in attaining goals and addressing concerns”. (Zalabak, 2009, pg 295) As a leader and manager I would take the time to understand the behaviors of this employee and the negative outcomes that have come about. I would want to emphasize customer service and ways to deal with conflict if he or she feels they are not being understood or the reason why they do not get along with others. Also finding a way to reinstate the importance of work ethics and the organizations values to employees and customers. I would inform them of the standards and the goals needed to follow to abide by the organizations vision of customer service. I would also inform them that there is no tolerance of bad behavior and that there will be no arguments allowed with other people on the floor and if there is a problem that he or she should come to me directly and let me handle the situation. Not only with direct communication but with an openness for understanding and learning about this person; the meeting will have been ended on a positive not in hopes of positive change through action.
Reference:
Shockley-Zalaback, Pamela. Fundamentals of organizational communication:
Knowledge, sensitivity, skills, values. – 7th ed. (2009) Pearson Education, Inc.
No comments:
Post a Comment